1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best place for HID

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mickaphely, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mickaphely

mickaphely Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Everyone,

Just before you start breaking my bones, yes, i did use the search function and couldn't find any helpful answer.

so here it is,

where is the best place to buy an HID kit for the headlights ?
    and is there a kit that i can buy that wouldn't need a relay ?

Thanks everyone.

2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Worry about quality before price. There are threads with suggestions for US owners. If you buy 55 watt you won't need a relay. Alternately buy 35 watt with canbus ballasts.:)

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No one can legally sell aftermarket HIDs (for public highway use in the US) for a car that did not start with HIDs. Dealing with folks who are breaking the law, means quality control is bad. Repeat business is unlikely. And since no one can stay in business long, expertise is low. All this reduces customer service.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there are businesses that sell HIDs and have very good customer service. Places like TheRetroFitSource.com and Xenondepot sell very nice kits with good aftermarket bulbs as well as OEM bulbs which are always the best.

A lternativelythere are places like DDM Tuning who sell cheap kits. The ballasts are ok but the bulbs are terrible and their customer service is not very good. My personal choice is Theretrofitsource. Those guys are awesome. For more detailed info on HIDs check out HIDplanet.com

5. maoira

maoira Junior Member

St Paul, MN (formally from San Diego, CA)
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a DDM tuning 55w kit in my prius, but I found that it was REALLY bright.. a little too bright to my taste. Compared to the 35watt kit I have in my Lexus IS the 55w kit in my prius made the 35w look like a halogen. I didn't feel comfortable driving with it with the fear of being stopped and blinding oncoming traffic. I ordered a 35w kit (canbus ballasts with philips bulbs) from xenonsupply. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please take before and after pics.
    I am back and forth on the 35w vs 50w right now from the retrofit source.

Everything I read is 35w looks very OEM but you say the 55w is way to bright? Did you try to re-aim the lights?

7. maoira

maoira Junior Member

St Paul, MN (formally from San Diego, CA)
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can only compare it between the 55w I had on my prius and the 35w on my lexus. the 55w is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter. The 55w kit does put out more lumens than the 35w kit. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like my high beams are on ALL the time. When I get my 35w kit from xenonsupply I will post comparison pics.

8. mickaphely

mickaphely Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the info guys, now where do i go to get a good quality canbus ballast HID kit ?

9. Volstylexx

Volstylexx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just installed a Volt kit last week. Purchased it from Kbcarstuff.com
    Use the code "pc" for $25 off.