1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ah, patch panels for rear shock mounts?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Krall, Oct 9, 2024.

1. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2010 Prius. It's a 3 I believe.

Blew the head gasket at nearly 300k. Had a mechanic check it out and said everything was great! So I had him swap in a used engine. Comes to inspection time and it fails cause the rear shock mounts are too rusted and part of the frame is too.

Does anyone know if there's patch panels available for that area? I tried looking it up several ways and I'm either using the wrong terms or there's nothing available.

Thanks!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I really doubt there's a patch for that.

Most of the body panels available for those are for collision repair.

I do know of some patch panel suppliers that are specifically in the restoration/rust repair market but they don't offer anything for a car as... "non-classic" as a 2010 Prius.

Your best bet for a patch would be to cut that out of another Prius. But honestly it would be less work to call it a parts car and move that engine to a better host.

Krall likes this.
  3. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I figured the same about it not being a classic to have those kinds of parts available.

I’ll keep trying to exhaust my options as it was around $1500 to swap the engine and the car is rust free and in amazing shape save for the rear shock towers.

I’ve never seen a Prius at one of those self service salvage yards otherwise I’d cut out the needed parts myself