1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Additional Maintenance Beyond Factory Required

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PatrickN, Jul 19, 2012.

1. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm about to get my 25k mile service and I've been looking through some posts regarding what services I should request beyond the factory required maintenance. It appears that there are enough members here that have the opinion to change the transaxle fluid that I am going to do this, but I'm unclear as to the other fluids. I was hoping we could type up something that listed all of the fluids/other consumables and when to replace them.

Also (dumb question) but I am assuming that the transmission is part of the transaxle and therefore changing the transaxle fluid is the same as changing the transmission fluid in a Prius. Is this true?

Thank you very much and I think this would greatly help people who want their cars to last a very long time but honestly don't know what services to do.

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honestly, at your mileage I'd just get a tire rotation and an oil change. Transmission/transaxle fluid replacement shouldn't be necessary at your mileage. Some people say to do it, some others say to leave it alone. If I were you, I'd wait and do some more research and think about the transmission. You're only at 25k. If anything, change it at 30-36k or something along those lines. Several people here haven't ever replaced it and their cars are running fine. There is proof that there is some nasty gunk in there though after 30k miles. I asked a familiar question a few days ago about if I should change my transmission/transaxle fluid or not at 25k/3yr. of ownership. Check the thread here. Your dealership should top off all other fluids when you go in for an oil change/tire rotation. As far as I know, they're basically the same thing term-wise. I'd stick with "transmission" fluid. This may not have answered everything you had to ask, but it's a start. I just got back from my 25k service today and did an oil change and tire rotation. You and I still have some time to think about the transmission fluid. Check your engine/cabin filter and if they seem dirty order them on the internet and replace them yourself. The dealer will definitely rob you on those. Other than oil change and tire rotation, check your filters and think about the transmission fluid.

Cheers!

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the 60k mark, I would also consider the following services:

- drain and refill engine coolant
    - drain and refill inverter coolant
    - brake fluid flush
    - clean throttle body and replace PCV valve

I had my engine coolant done at 30k, and plan to do the inverter coolant soon when I have time. I did my own brake flush at 30k for $14 in parts.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some cars have a Transmission, and a Differential, as separate units. In the Prius (and many other cars) the Transaxle does both functions in one unit.