1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5K Oil Changes (UK Prius 2010)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WildWayz, Dec 22, 2009.

1. WildWayz

WildWayz New Member

Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Do you still have to do the 5K oil changes on the UK Prius? If so, how come it is so frequent?

James

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hey a fellow Brit, and not too far away either.

No, in the UK our oil changes are 10k miles and a major service at 20k. do not know why they are lower in the US & Canada. Think it's to do with harsher climates and warranty issues. You will find that their service intervals are a lot shorter than ours, even for identical cars.

3. WildWayz

WildWayz New Member

Model:
    N/A
    awwww awesome - thanks!

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Question for one of you guys: What is the recommended oil viscosity for the 2010 Prius in the UK?

I wish our oil change interval was a bit more realistic, 10K would be about right since we have to use synthetic oil (0W20 weight) for the warranty.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just checked the manual which stipulates 0w-20 Energy Conserving oil. Guess it's the same as yours.

This'll amaze you but the Prius servicing interval at 10,000 miles is regarded as low here! Normally a minimum is 12,000 miles for pertrol cars with some having an interval at 20,000 miles. Warranties are pretty much the same at 60,000 miles for most cars so why you have a much more frequent service interval beats me.

1 person likes this.
  6. WildWayz

WildWayz New Member

Model:
    N/A
    Having a high service interval isnt always good though - as you could have an issue that isnt picked up for in 20,000 miles!
    I think Renault service intervals are 20,000...

10,000 - 12,000 should be about right tho.. (about once a year).

1 person likes this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the replies. There have been rumors that Toyota might change the interval in the U.S. and Canada to 10K but nothing has been done officially yet.

My previous car, a BMW 3 series, had a 15K recommended oil change interval using 5W30 synthetic oil. BMW did require oil that met European specifications, our oil is not manufactured to the same standards as yours and may not be as good.

8. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my readings here and elsewhere, my understanding is that the oil quality/oil standards are lower in the US&Canada than in Europe. The lowest grade in Europe is sufficient to have oil services each 10,000 miles, while the lowest grade here is of very poor quality, therefore the requirement of 5K miles oil changes.

As Toyota requires better oil quality for 2010 models (Gen III Prius being one), many on PriusChat were asking why Toyota USA kept the oil changes at 5K.

This is now being corrected for the USA. I've asked Toyota Canada Customer service to know if the same change was coming accross the border and all I got in return was: please ask your dealer...