1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$270 for 15,000 maintenance - worth it??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dsm42, Oct 11, 2005.

1. dsm42

dsm42 New Member

I just scheduled my 15,000 mi maint with Herb Chambers in Boston, and they told me it would cost $270.

Given that my wife and I want to be safe much more than sorry, and we mostly drive the Prius in tough city driving (stop and go, potholes, etc), and when we're not in the city, we sometimes drive on dirt roads, and the service includes the list below, could it be worth $270, or are we simply being ripped off??

And, BTW, is it worth it for us to request the fuel gauge and filler TSB work? Our VIN is within the range, and we typically can't fill the tank more than 7-8 gallons when the gauge is flashing...

Thanks much for any and all advice,
    Dave.

REPLACE ENGINE OIL & FILTER
    CHECK & ADJUST ALL FLUID LEVELS
    INSPECT BELTS AND HOSES
    INSPECT TIRES AND SET PRESSURE
    TOP OFF WASHER SOLVENT

EVERY 5,000 MILES OR 6 MONTHS: ($99, includes above)
    REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER
    ROTATE TIRES (EXCEPT MR2)
    INSPECT BELTS AND HOSES
    INSPECT TIRES AND SET PRESSURE
    TOP OFF WASHER SOLVENT
    LUBRICATE ALL KEY LOCK CYLINDERS
    INSPECT ALL EXTERNAL LIGHTS FOR PROPER OPERATION
    INSPECT LAP/SHOULDER RESTRAINTS
    INSPECT BALL JOINTS AND DUST COVERS
    INSPECT BRAKE LININGS/DRUMS AND BRAKE PADS/DISCS
    INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
    INSPECT ENGINE AIR FILTER
    INSPECT NUTS AND BOLTS ON CHASSIS AND BODY
    INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE AND BOOTS
    RE-TORQUE CHASSIS NUTS AND BOLTS

EVERY 15,000 MILES OR 18 MONTHS: ($270, includes above)
    CLEAN AND ADJUST REAR BRAKES
    CLEAN AND TIGHTEN BATTERY TERMINALS & CHECK ELECTROLYTE LEVEL
    INSPECT BRAKE LINES AND HOSES
    INSPECT ENGINE COOLANT
    INSPECT EXHAUST PIPES AND MOUNTINGS
    INSPECT STEERING GEAR BOX
    INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE AND BOOTS
    INSPECT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
    INSPECT DIFFERENTIAL OIL (REAR)
    INSPECT CABIN AIR FILTER
    INSPECT RADIATOR CORE AND CONDENSER

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, triple the cost for the last bit . Ouch! I wonder if maintenance is more expensive in the US (or just that they do more inspection).

and Oil & Filter service here cost $29.95++ and a full maintenance is ~$130++

3. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Seems like an awful lot of inspections.

You're getting oil / filter change plus a top off of other fluids. Tire rotation and some bolts tightened.

I'm not big on all of those inspections. Oil change and tire rotation would cost you far less at the local quick lube.

Some of the things they have on the list can end up in charges that are more than this. For example, they just mention inspect the cabin air filter. That does not include changing it if it is dirty, which is a very easy self change.

I usually just go to a quick lube place in town, they have been very good from a service perspective in my opinion. For major services that they won't do, then I go to the dealer and do ala-carte services.

On my Lexus, they wanted ~$1,500 for a 90k mile service, that did not include the $750 timing belt change. I went for just the timing belt change and some other key items instead.

Ken

4. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to say, since I'm not a mechanic, but it seems that all you get with the extra $170 is 2 cleanings and a whole lot of inspecting. I guess the real question is how long the brake cleaning takes. Although some of the inspection items seem like they may involve more than a quick look.

In addition - it's seems to me any good dealership should always inspect everything they can, especially when a vehicle is under warranty still. It's really in their best interest to.

So, how's that for not really answering your question :)

[EDIT] - I swear those other posts weren't there originally...

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    um, I'm pretty sure the rear brakes are self-adjusting...

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If possible call up a different nearby Toyota dealership, and get their price. Nobody is going to be able to check the 12v battery electrolyte levels (because it's sealed), or inspect the rear differential oil (because there isn't one).

As a 2001 Prius driver, my voice won't count for much, but I have read that the fuel filler TSB is often helpful. Sometimes though, the servicer leaves out an important o-ring, and next time you refuel, you'll make a puddle. This is not so good.

Most Prius maintenence is not hybrid-system-specific, and any competent shop (or DIY-er) can do it. Exceptions include the inverter coolant loop and the transaxle fluid. The new model Prius (like yours) requires a spcial Toyota computer tool to bleed the hydraulic brake fluid. You are almost certainly not a candidate for any of those, at 15k.

If you document maintenance and keep all receipts, you should not have compromised your Toyota warranties.

As your drive includes Bostonian potholes, a suspension alignment (about $80) is worth considering. But again, this is not unique to the Prius. All they need is the spec sheet, probably available around here someplace.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No way should you pay that. If you're really insecure about it go to a brake shop and ask them to 'inspect' your brakes for wear...I suspect they'll do it for free in hopes of getting your business, but there's no reason there should be any detectible wear and they self adjust.

All the rest of the "inspections" are just that, they look at the visible hoses and such. You can do that...look under the hood...how's everything look, any wear, any signs of fluid spray or leakage? Any fluids dripping from under the car on the garage floor at night?

Use your "Passport to Performance"--ask them to do those things only and you're well within your warranty at neglible cost (compared to $270--almost all dealership profit). Get your tires rotated if due and save the extra $220 for the next 5000 miles worth of gas!

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/...rvice_04_05.pdf

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    1. you are being ripped off. go have the oil changed somewhere else.

2. don't do the fuel TSB.

rob

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You should go by the 15K mile services as listed in your Prius 'passport' in your glove compartment.

It lists oil change, rotate tires, inspect fluid levels, check filters.

For my 15K (which I did at 17144mi) for my 02/2005 Prius:
    o I checked and Dysoned the filters already so I waived that
    o I brought my own Mobil-1
    o I invoked the Toyota Xpress Lube
    o my rear brakes were inspected (for some extra reason outside self-adjustment), no charge

total out the door: $41.89

I think some people recommend doing the fuel tsb, and some not, you probably want that clarified. I lean to just do it, but it should again be no cost to you up front.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What is Dysoned?

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dyson vacuums.
    Annoyingly, most of the black gunk stays stuck to the filter.

One of these days, I wonder if somebody will make a Dyson air filter for cars, and then NO MORE FILTERS! :lol:

But that would be a forced induction intake if that happens, and somebody would still need to clean out the dust collector, or somehow have it self empty.

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is way too much.

Pull out the nice maintenance book that came with your car. Read what it says to do. Have the dealer do exactly those items, nothing more. Don't pay for a 15,000 mile service; especially not at those prices.

15,000, 30,000, 60,000, 90,000... mile services were originally created by manufacturers to create logical and memorable mileage points by which things aside from oil and oil filter could be done on a vehicle. However the good intentions of the manufacturers have been perverted by dealers into a profit center. So, manufacturers have fought back by creating well designed and documented service booklets for their customers. Dealers have continued to ignore those service scheduels and hope that you, the trusting customer, choose to ignore the book and let them do what they want, or let them claim they are doing stuff to your car so that they can make money.

Many of these regular interval services include items that just dont' apply to your car, such as tranny oil change at 30,000 miles. In fact, consider many of these package services dangerous to the Prius.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are getting hosed. Look around. This routine work can be done by any competent auto technician. You do not need a Prius Master Tech to change the oil and rotate the tires.

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

well, i dont have a prius. but any place that wants to charge me 99 bucks for my regularly scheduled oil change is just overpriced, and you should look elsewhere

a side note - this might be a heads up that the prepaid maintenance deal is particularly valuable to bostonians.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    "lubricate keylock cylinders"

oh ya... pay BIG money for that!!... well i guess it might still be needed even if not ever actually using a key although i dont really see why. never using a key means never introducing contaminants to the cylinder making the factory lube last much much longer.

seriously though, is this typical maintenance cost for any car? that could just be market rates. i get most of that done on a standard $31.99 oil change at the dealer around here and jiffy lube will do it for half price. but i have to say, our cost of living is pretty cheap in some areas (services and commodities yes, housing NO)

16. dsm42

dsm42 New Member

Thanks much for the suggestions and info! I was fairly confident we were getting hosed at the $270 price, but given:

1) Neither of us have time to shop around (new baby, multiple jobs, etc...)
    2) The Toyota dealer is walking distance from here, making it easy to drop off and pickup (they said they need 3 hrs)
    3) My wife is insisting that the brakes be checked by someone really qualified

I'm thinking we'll have to bite the bullet and going for the $99 service....

Dave.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Congrats on your new heir, Dave.

Probably this is not the best time for you to dispute brake service with the significant other, so bite the bullet on that. Just between us, there is nothing wrong with your brakes, but as well, letting their service traineees touch them probably won't screw anything up. The front discs adjust themselves, and the rear discs reset when you stop while reversing. Just cycle the parking brake pedal a few times after they finish with it, and you will be good. Probably it will be 150k miles (about twice what I've got) before anything needs to be done in the friction-stopping department.

You've got a low-maintenance car there, a real plum. I apologize for giggling a little bit when the dealers try to enrich themselves at the expense of Prius drivers.

Here is a 2001 Prius, and *nobody* touches it, except when I feel too stupid to do the job. Fortunately, I have trusty service-folk who don't mind picking up the crumbs. I never go there, without a bag of cookies for the staff!

Anybody who wants to, can run Prius out to 300k or more. It's gonna be fun.

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Checking the brakes is a no brainier, if you want to get fancy you put a caliper on the pads and compare it to a chart. I have 20K on my car and just had it serviced and I had < 90% wear. The technician said unused was closer to the truth. If you slow down slowly and use the regenerative breaking the use of the friction brakes is minimal. Convince is a major factor for some.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I think they are just charging a bunch for the extra labor. It's always the labor that costs the big $$$.

I also have a Dyson, and love the washable filters (and the vacuum in general). However, if these filters are "permanent" then why did I see repalcements for sale at the store...

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe for those that don't want to wash their sponge filter, or damaged it somehow. More former than latter. Doesn't really make sense to me either.