1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 1.8L rattling at low rpm, head gasket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stokesey, Oct 19, 2024 at 6:24 AM.

1. stokesey

stokesey New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car has 270k miles, it's rattling quite a bit at cold starts. I know 3rd gen Prii have issues with head gaskets, but I'll clean the EGR if I can get the dang thing off. Those bolts aren't fun:mad:. Also, didn't the gasket issues get solved in the later Gen 3s?

Also going to swap coils and plugs as those were super cheap online. I have a head gasket test kit but I can't seem to find a radiator cap on the car. Maybe I could install it on the coolant reservoir? It's hard to keep the engine running and hold the tester in place. Rock on the gas might work...

Thanks for any advice

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You need to stop running it while it's rattling All that's going to do is create you cracking the girdle down below the exhaust manifold and then the engine's toast so don't run it rattling park it stop it or something. If you're going to try and save it you can pull the spark plugs early in the morning and see the water droplets on the offending cylinders generally but don't drive it or let it run rattling if you can force clear it up by stepping on the gas you can let it run a little bit while force charging the hybrid battery every so often while you figure out what you're going to do but I wouldn't be driving it rattling and all that it'll just ruin what you have and dictate a complete engine change.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long have you had it?
    Hang onto the old ones...
    With your miles and symptoms, I'd go straight to head gasket assessment. EGR cleaning is always worthwhile, but head gasket should be first priority.
    That's probably the one that tests for exhaust gas in coolant. At least at the beginning of head gasket failure, it's been coolant leaking into combustion chamber. For a DYI'r boroscope inspection the combustion chambers will likely better. Look for one cylinder (typically starts cylinder one, which is to your left stand at front) that's got exceptionally clean cylinder top, and/or pooling coolant atop piston.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 19, 2024 at 10:59 AM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 11:07 AM