1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius P3019 just refurbed cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mudrunner88, Oct 14, 2024 at 7:22 PM.

1. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just spent 3 weeks recharging all the cells in my hybrid battery and only had to replace one because of low capacity.

I also replaced the ECU and orange wiring harness that goes into it due to corrosion and broken pins.

Upon restarted the car the Red triangle went away and all DTC went away.

I let the ICE run to charge the battery and when I came back out Techstream showed P3019 "Block 9 becomes weak" I clicked the freeze frame data and block 9 was 16.88.

I then checked dynamic data and all 14 modules voltage are in good range but once ever few seconds module 9 peaks into 17+ volts. Could this be what is tripping the code? Overvoltage?

Should I just drive it and see what happens for now? Let it charge and deplete several times in the car to see if it goes away?

What would the root cause be here?

Sorry so many questions, very tech savvy but fairly new to hybrids.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So drove the car today and it charged to green then a few miles later the triangle came on again and felt loss of power.

Reset and it's driving again?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had a similar code for block 11 being weak I don't remember the code The card been sitting for probably a week longer than it should have been I've driven it quite a bit It hasn't come back

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could this be what is tripping the code? Overvoltage? Yes, it could be.

Your IR values (0.019) in the screenshots are default values from when power was restored. Give the car a bit of time to learn and display the true values. You may find that block 9 has an unusually high IR value. This could be triggering the high voltage. For quite a while, I believed the codes were only caused by low voltage, but learned otherwise a year or so ago. It wouldn't hurt to verify all your connections are clean and properly torqued, but it's likely one of the modules in block 9 is not up to par.

It would be interesting to monitor the block voltages while actually driving the car to see how it reacts to real world variations. If it drops lower than all the others during heavy acceleration, and goes higher than the others during regen, you have a weak module. If the block voltage stays higher than the others during both types of transients, you may just have two overly strong modules in the same block skewing the readings.

The HV battery test function in Hybrid Assistant has excellent graphing functions and would probably provide clarity.

#4 TMR-JWAP, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:30 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 10:35 PM