1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sambojoho, Oct 24, 2023.

1. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2015 with 82k miles. Original 12v battery. I’m wondering if any experts on here recommend a preventative replacement time for this, or should I rely on a battery test? How reliable are auto shop battery tests? Any recommendations on brand of replacement?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yuasa or hi grade AGM or gel 12 battery. Yuasa and old Deka are very difficult to find . Sears has a good unit MFD for them blueish label on it. Some of these high-end battery tester that the big box stores are using now are quite costly and put the battery through quite a bit of paces so generally they should be quite accurate.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Test the voltage with a multimeter first thing in the morning, for a rudimentary assessment. With an electronic load tester you can get a much better idea. Solar makes prosumer level ones, and a lot of battery retailers will have one one hand, do gratis tests.

the fact that it’s still viable is testament you’re doing something right, say frequent/longer drives, and not having accidental drains.

4. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agreed - letting the battery die is the best way to kill your battery.

I would also agree with the suggestion to get it tested. It could die in five years, or it could die next week at this age. I just bought my 2010 prius with 262k miles and the original battery, so it could certainly give you a few more years! But there's no way of knowing whether it's next week or 5 years unless you get it tested.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    8 years is a good run. either replace it with an oem, or if you want to get the most out of it, carry a jump pack and replace it when it won't start the car.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to the Toyota dealership and get the OEM battery. It's the BEST one for the car.
    They get a 4 amp agm charger and charge it for 8-12 hours so it is fully charged.
    They do not charge them at the dealership or any other store.

Doug McC and Ryan Will like this.
  7. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If you can afford the luxury of a dead battery then run it to death. At 8 years you have had a good run. I bought a Topdun BT100 battery tester (The Car Care Nut recommended the brand (he tested the BT200 which has a 6 volt setting that the 100 doesn’t)). Nice thing about it is it shows you the Internal Resistance so you have an idea of how well it can perform and you can track it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Solar BA5 here, no complaints. Current is BA9 I think.

9. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III