1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 year/32,000 km service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hey123go, Nov 7, 2005.

1. hey123go

hey123go New Member

At my 1 year or 32,000 km service - (and I was both at 1 year and 32,000 km at the same time) the Ken Shaw (Toronto) dealership service team suggested the following additional work:
    Change interior dust/pollen filter ($17.00 + $23.95 parts)
    Change engine air filter ($32.95 parts only)
    Sand/Clean/Deglaze front disk rotors & pads + lube caliper slides ($44.95 + $4.95 for cleaner)
    Sand/Clean/Deglaze rear shoes/drums and/or rotors & pads + lube caliper slides and contact points ($44.95 + $4.95 for cleaner)
    Machine front rotors (apparently they were warped - so covered under warranty)

I could accept that most of this work was probably required - but I had a hard time accepting and understanding the Clean/Deglazing of the brakes. The explanation I received from the service manager was that the brake dust accumulates inside the "sealed area" and needs to be cleaned periodically.

I have never heard of cleaning the brakes before. And wouldn't the machining of the rotors have cleaned the front ones? I kept pressuring for an explanation of what was being cleaned off - but the service manager kept giving me the dust explanation.

I feel like the dealership just padded the bill by $100.00 bucks and I'm a little steamed. Anyone else had their brakes 'cleaned?'

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I could see taking the calipers off once a year and cleaning/lubing the slide pins. Where you live MTO uses a lot of road salt, in addition to the city, during winter. The road salt will work its way into the slide pins.

I had a 1992 Honda Prelude with 4 wheel disk brakes and if I didn't take off the rear caliper slide pins every fall and spring, they would rust and seize on me. Same as my 2000 GMC Sierra POS, the rear caliper slide pins would corrode then seize.

Not sure if you really need to worry much about the rear drum brakes. In my experience drum brakes are highly resistant to corrosion from road salt.

My local dealer had a coupon for brake inspection last month. They found a bit of corrosion on the slide pins but everything else was fine. With 24,000km of Winnipeg city driving, the front brakes were still at 94% and the rear drum shoes were at 99%.

It's fairly easy to take off the caliper slide pins yourself, usually it's a 10mm bolt. Except my 2000 GMC Sierra that used a hex head on the front calipers, that was a royal PITA.

As far as the cabin and engine filters, they are easy to service yourself.